Friday, August 24, 2012

Tiffany and the Giant “Tell me a story daddy, please.” My daughter called out just before I exited her bedroom. “You sure you can stay awake for a story?” I replied as I moved to her bedside. “I’m not sleepy. Please Daddy.” “Okay, love. Once upon a time, there lived a Princess named Tiffany just like you. My Princess Tiffany.” I touched her button nose with my index finger and delighted in her giggle. “She was a very pretty and smart little girl. Everyone loved Princess Tiffany. She was so beautiful and such a wonderful child that people from distant lands knew of her and loved her. She received many presents from many passing visitors. Deep in the mountains there lived a Giant. An ugly monster who lived all alone. She was always chased away from every place she went because she was mean, careless and destroyed everything beautiful. Some said that the Giant had no heart and had no love. “ “That’s sad daddy,” interjected my Tiffany. “Yes it is and so when the giant heard of Princess Tiffany she was hurt and angry. The Giant was jealous. The giant marched to the palace and scared all the people away. Only the king and queen and their daughter Tiffany remained. The Giant took Tiffany’s toys and began to break down the palace. The giant took picked up Tiffany with her big hands like a doll. “We love you dear,” shouted the king and queen from the ground which was now far below Tiffany. “You are the only one who can stop the giant now. Be strong and let your love and happiness shine. That is the only way to destroy the giant.” I kept quiet for a moment and when Tiffany did not react, I rose quietly and walked out into the passageway where my sobbing wife waited. I took her in my arms and held her close as she cried. Every night I told Tiffany the same story to get her to sleep. It was a story I created to follow the doctors orders. “Mr. and Mrs. Friedland,” said the doctor. “One of the best weapons against cancer is positive thinking. Use metaphors and stories to constantly reinforce a sense of strength and optimism in your daughter.” He paused, examined our reactions and then continued. “The truth is that this time around the chemotherapy did little damage to the cancer cells I fear that the cancer is going to spread. Miracles do happen though and right now I think you should pray for your daughter and keep her positive. There have been cases where due to a positive mind-set patients have been able to overcome the disease. Create stories for the child, tell her the story of David and Gollyath or any other story that depicts simple messages about overcoming big obstacles despite one’s size. “ Sally, my wife, wept through out the consultation. I am surprised that she had any tears left. I nodded at the doctor while simultaneously fighting back my own tears. “Thank you doctor.” There were no more questions to be asked, no arguments left. We rose to leave when the doctor said, “I know this is going to be hard but please try no to cry in Tiffany’s presence, it will just weaken her spirit.”

No comments:

Post a Comment